Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rosy fish piccata


Here's an easy, quick and healthy potential Valentine's dish for all you lotharios out there!


I came home from work and had some fish defrosted but was lacking inspiration in what to do with it. Now, I love chicken piccata and I've posted an easy recipe for that before but tonight I decided to make a fish version, minus the butter and heavy cream but with all the flavour and more nutritional punch. Also, Valentine's day is really not the day to overindulge in rich, heavy foods!


Here's my usual non-recipe, recipe!


Rosy fish piccata


Firm white fish fillets (I used tilapia...easy, cheap and quick to cook)

Cornstarch

Veggie or chicken stock

Rose (dry-ish) wine or grape juice or pomegranate juice

Capers

Lemon juice

Lemon slices


Pat the fish dry, season with salt and pepper then pat with cornstarch (will help thicken the sauce later)

Spray a non stick frying pan with PAM spray and heat over medium heat

Add the fish and cook until golden on each side, remove from the pan

Add stock and wine or juice to the pan and bubble until reduced by half

Put the fish back in the pan and cook until the fish is cooked (opaque) then add the capers to your taste, lemon juice and lemon slices for garnish....


Serve with broccoli and a nice glass of pink wine....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*gasp*
i love the broccoli.

i want to be an R.D - do you mind telling me where you attended college and what you majored in? I know I should be majoring in nutrition/nutritional science...or atleast that is what i think so!

thanks so much!

Suzanne the RD said...

Hi and thanks for the comment.
I majored in Nutrition and Food Science for my undergrad at Cal State San Bernardino then went on to get my MS in Nutrition at Cal Poly. Not sure where you live but Cal Poly Pomona and SLO both have great nutrition programs as does Cal State Northridge, Long Beach, and San Bernardino that I know of.
I have to say, I love being an RD...we have so much variety available to us in terms of where we want to take our careers.
Feel free to contact me if you have other questions!
Suzanne

Thinspired said...

Hi there! Just found your blog through Love of Oats. I'm a CA girl living in England (I notice you have some posts about British foods--are you from England?), and we'll be moving back to CA next year. I'll be applying to grad schools to study nutrition and start coursework for the road to becoming an RD. I haven't looked into Cal Poly yet--it looks like we're going to be in the San Jose area. Do you know anything about CSU SJ? Any tips in general about the whole process? My BA is in PoliSci, so I have a whole lot of catching up to do with the sciences. Any tips you have would be very appreciated :)

Suzanne the RD said...

Hi..yes, I'm from England originally. Where are you currently in the UK? As for becoming an RD, you will need to take classes to satisfy the food/nutrition requirements and then a 9 month or so supervised practice rotation is required before you can take the RD exam. Competition for internship spots is hot so it helps to have a wide variety of activities and a good GPA on your application. Not sure if you can go in at a grad level to become an RD...you may need to do a second BS and transfer over as many credits as you can from your BS in PolySci.
I dont know anything about CS San Jose......if they have a BS in Nutrition then you should be good...keep me posted on how it goes..
Suzanne

Thinspired said...

I'm living in Bristol at the moment. Thank you for getting back to me :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!